Saturday, November 19, 2011

I trotted! Turkey Style!

I did it! I finished the race :) I knew I would finish. The only thing in question was the time. I'm thrilled to say I finished the Turkey Trot in 39:23- which was faster than my goal of 42 minutes! I know it's still a painfully slow pace (just over 13 minute miles), but I'm still happy. I haven't run a race in 7 years, and to be honest, this is the first one I didn't want to die after having run. I consider that a WIN!

Also a win? The fabulous sign my friends made for me and Dr Boy at the finish line. It definitely gave me the adrenaline I needed to SPRINT the last 20 seconds or so.
Names have been obscured to protect the guilty
Rock on.

Things of note:
- I love running intervals. I ran (with a friend) for the first 11 minutes straight, then took on intervals of 3 minutes running, 1 minute walking. Worked for us!
- The adrenaline of all those people starting out the race together? Intense! No wonder we skipped our first few walking intervals.
- It was 41 degrees when we started the race. I wish I had mittens. But at least I looked cute-ish?
Admire the fancy running gear
- Dr Boy finished 5 minutes faster than me. Damn him. My consolation prize? I hurt less now than he does. Of course, I trained, and he didn't, so that's fair.
- After the race, Dr Boy had a beer. Because that's how he rolls. We then went to breakfast and ate way more food than is justified for only having run 3 miles. Whatever. It was delicious.
- I'll be taking December off of running (IVF, duhzies), but plan on getting back on the horse in January, pregnant or not. After consulting my physician, of course. The real one. Not the one I'm married to.

Thanks for all the support!

(also, here's one of my favorite pics from this morning, before the race. Love.
We are clearly way too cool for this race.

6 comments:

  1. That is some fancy running gear! Great job finishing under your goal. I'm impressed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on finishing below your goal time! It looks like it was a fun time. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hahaha. You hurt less than he does! Well done, well done! I haven't ran since the Seattle St. Paddy's Day Dash and I really need to get back into it. Maybe next month. :P

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well done :)) I admire you so much... wish I could do that sort of thing :) xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. yay!!! You are an inspiration ! Congratulations on your acomplishment! I know I could barely run 5 min straight! (so bad! lol)

    ReplyDelete
  6. You both rocked it! So proud of you.

    ReplyDelete

You know you want to tell me how ridiculous I am...