Wednesday, May 25, 2011

How does your garden grow?

I haven't posted photos of the garden that I started in a while, so I thought I'd share. Nothing else is going on right now ;) 

Most of the plants went in on April 22th. If you've haven't been following, that day I planted 6 tomatoes, 2 bell peppers, 1 Anaheim pepper, 1 jalepeno, 2 cantaloupes, 1 watermelon, 1 zucchini, and two basil (purple and sweet). So far, I've only managed to kill one of the cantaloupes, and one tomato. The cantaloupe I am calling more of a "failure to thrive" than my black thumb. It helps me sleep at night. The tomato was one of the two purple tomatoes I got for free from the horticulture dept at the local university. It was pretty tiny and delicate so I'm not too surprised. Again, no lost sleep. 

There's also a strawberry plant in a hanging basket that I planted from a tiny cutting. It's doing pretty well too! I may actually get one or to off of it by the end of the summer. Especially considering there's flowers on it!

I replaced the cantaloupe with a green zebra tomato. I think they're one of my favorite heirlooms. I didn't replace the other purple tomato because I realized I still had 6 tomato plants and only one person in the house who will eat them :) I also added two more basil plants, lemon this time. I am so excited to make mass quantities of pesto this fall, and delicious pasta dishes, and whatever else I can think of. 

I finally put in the tomato cages last week, when the plants actually started to grow. Stupid cool and rainy May.

And now, for your viewing pleasure:





Sorry for the crappy lihting in the pics. I had to catch a flight!

No comments:

Post a Comment

You know you want to tell me how ridiculous I am...