Saturday, June 11, 2011

I have an unhealthy obsession.


My Victory Garden, as of June 6th. And BTW, this photo
was not nearly as blurry in iPhoto. Thanks, Blogger.


With my garden. I heart it. I go outside when I get home from work, and I stare at it. I fight the good fight against the mushrooms that have been springing up during this unusually cold May and early June. I haven't needed to water or prune it much, due to the rain we've had here in the last couple of weeks, so instead, I stare.

I stare at the strawberry that will be red and delicious one day, remembering how the plant looked like a dead twig back in April.

I stare at the tomato flowers, which will (hopefully) become juicy tomatoes to turn into salsa and soup and sauce and other wonderful things. I wonder what kind of tomatoes the plants I got from the horticulture dept will be.


I swoon over the new bell pepper plant I bought on impulse, as if the planter weren't crowded enough. But it's called a "Sweet Chocolate Bell Pepper"- how could this chocoholic resist? The rest of the peppers are all tiny because of the cool weather. I have my fingers crossed that they'll pop when it heats up a bit next week.

I dream of the muffins and bread and grilling that will result from the flowering zucchini plant. Which I swear, went from zero to blooming in about a day. Craziness. Seriously, those are all flowers now.

The pesto and bruscetta I'll make with the purple basil.

And the green beans I finally planted so there would be at least one edible in the garden Dr Boy would eat. Do as he says, not as he does!

I don't know what it is about this garden that makes me swoon, but it sure does. Our first yard, gone from a big pile of unsightly dirt, to a big pile of unsightly dirt covered in edibles. Edibles that will be coming out of my ears by the end of the summer!

Maybe it has something to do with the fact that I take pride in being about to MAKE something. I can't seem to make a damn baby, so something to eat is the next best thing, I guess. I don't want to get all philosophical about it, because then I'll just start rolling my eyes at myself and being all "seriously J, it's a freakin' garden. That's all."

But it makes me happy.

Are you gardens flourishing? What'cha all growing?

No comments:

Post a Comment

You know you want to tell me how ridiculous I am...