Saturday, September 25, 2010

Quiz Time!

Guess who has PCOS? Me!!!

It turns out that the whole not getting my period (without the aid of medication) thing for 21 months is because I have PCOS (Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome). It's fun. Side effects include anovulation (not ovulating) and insulin-resistance (getting fat, increased risk of diabetes and heart disease). Turns out that the two rounds of Chlomid I did earlier this year were probably pointless, as another part of this whole hormone inbalance is making my womb inhospitable. ie: Even if the hubs and I were successful, it wouldn't, well, take.

So what are we going to do about that? The doctor I'm seeing (who is an internist, not an RE (reproductive endocrinologist) which raises some issues of its own) has started me on metformin (500mg for now, upping the dose in a month) and a special weight loss program. What weight loss program, you ask? Well, losing 10-15 percent of my body weight, and a low carb, low sugar diet. So I have to lose 20 to 30 pounds. And eat less than 140 grams of carbs every day, and less than 15 grams of sugar. Oh, and get 50 minutes of cardio 5 days a week.

Here I am on day 4 of this crap. And let me tell you, the sugar restriction? Im-freakin'-possible. 15 grams of sugar? Here's a few things that have 15 grams of sugar in them:
- cup of yoplait yogurt, certain flavors
- 2 Kashi granola bars
- 20 pieces of candy corn
- 5 whole carrots
- 0.75 cups of grapes

So you can imagine how much this sucks. Big time. DB (Doctor Boy Hubs) says that it's more important to stick to the carb restriction than it is the sugar, that the sugar restriction is unrealistic. Obviously not to go crazy with the sugar, but not necessarily 15g. And you know what?I am A-O-K fine with that. Even though I'm a vegetarian, it's ok. Sucky for sure, but ok. Because if it gets me to this?


It's worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

You know you want to tell me how ridiculous I am...